I adore Christmas movies. I have been to known to watch Christmas movies all year-long. “Christmas in July” on the Hallmark channel is my second favorite time of the year. With that in mind, two important things to remember. I am well versed in my Christmas movies, and….it was pretty hard for me to narrow it down to just one, yet after much consideration I did.
So, without further ado. Here are my top 5 reasons why “A Christmas Story” is my all time favorite Christmas movie.
- The Leg Lamp. I want the Leg Lamp. It is seriously on my bucket list to purchase the full size Leg Lamp, and the crate it comes in.
- “You’ll shoot your eye out!” I mean need I say more. All Ralphie wants for Christmas is a Red Ryder Air Riffle. However, everyone from his mother, his teacher and a department store Santa tells him no. Reason being…..”You’ll shoot your eye out!”
- The House. I am in love with their family house. There is just something about it, in an odd way, it just takes me back to my childhood. I love the retro kitchen, I love the decorations, the narrow stairway. I want their house.
- Tacky Christmas Tree. Splashed with tinsel and colored lights, it just speaks to me. Every year I try to recreate that tree. Problem is, my cats believe the tinsel is just for them, and well, it never ends well.
- The timing. “A Christmas Story” is on for 24 hours, usually beginning Christmas Day. This year is will begin at 8pm on Christmas Eve. It just seems like a perfect ending to the magic of Christmas……and…..puts me in the mood to start preparing for next year.
It was hard to narrow down a favorite Christmas movie. Some of the old classics like “It’s a Wonderful Life” or “A Christmas Story” came to mind but I think the one that resonates with me the most is “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”. This funny, light-hearted flick came out when I was about 10 years old. I remember watching it and thinking “well, at least I’m not the only one that has that one crazy relative in the family.” I think we all have a “Cousin Eddie” type family member that doesn’t really mesh with the family. The black sheep if you will. This movie encompasses the madness and mayhem of the holidays including Uncle Lewis who had his toupee’ catch on fire and Catherine who burnt the turkey so bad it deflated upon cutting into it. It really wouldn’t be the holidays without some catastrophic moment.
One that sticks out for me is one year I decided to take the kids out for Christmas breakfast. Well, unfortunately the only place that was open was the China Buffet. So, we got our seats (it was surprisingly busy) and got our food. About halfway through our meal I noticed something crawling on the booth across from us. It was a cockroach! I had 2 choices. 1) Run out screaming and ruin our Christmas brunch or 2) Pray that no bugs were in our food, continue eating and enjoy our Christmas brunch. I chose the latter. But for the record we never went back.
What is YOUR favorite Christmas movie? Tell us in the comments!
One thought on “What is your favorite Christmas movie?”
So many good ones…. I have to go with:
A tie between Christmas Vacation and Polar Express